How To Lose Customers
- Wednesday, 04 June 2008 13:21
Well, this is a bit of an interesting post. As part of a prospecting effort for DMIdeas I have signed up for a few email newsletters, etc. Starting last night at around 4:30PM I began receiving customer responses to an email from this particular prospect; here’s what happened:
- Prospect created a "group" on their own mail server called clients@
- Prospect used a well know, and reputable, blast provider to create an email blast to their entire list.
Nothing wrong yet…but then:
- Prospect sends the test blast (without any personalization or opt out information) to the clients@
- This "blast" of a single email is then FORWARDED by their system to the entire clients@
- One of the users in the group has an auto-reply out-of-office enabled.
Still no problem…until:
- The FROM: address for the blast was … Yep, you guessed it … clients@
- This caused that first out-of office to get sent to the entire group.
- Since that original email, there have been more than 150 messages from the members of the group about
PROSPECTNAME‘s inability to know what they’re doing, about someone "hacking" their email and sending messages, etc…
It was an interesting view into the types of people that are in certain kinds of businesses. Their lack of knowledge about the internet, etc.
The WORST is yet to come, however:
PROSPECTNAME representative A begins to send messages to each of the respondents who’re asking to opt-out saying that they’ll be removed, but, their reply is going to the created group too…
- Then representative B sent out the message following the break… making things worse!
Read more ...